Monday, July 29, 2013

A Very Special Fourth of July

This was Jamie's first REAL 4th of July experience. He has seen fireworks but not this close. It was very special because we did our own fireworks at my grandparents’ house just outside of Borger. We spent every July 4th out there when I was a kid. My dad and uncle would take us kids down to the fireworks stand where we would purchase an obscene amount of blackcats, Roman candles, artillery shells, etc. I have many fond memories of this annual family event. This year was bittersweet. That was the last time we will ever be at that house because my grandmother is gone, my grandfather has moved to Houston, and now the house has been sold. My grandmother loved the fireworks. I kept thinking how special it was to have my son spend this holiday with my parents the same way that I did with my father’s parents. It also made me sad to think my grandmother never had the chance to meet my son. I am sure she was watching from above with a very big smile on her face!

No comments:

Post a Comment